I apologize for not posting last week but it was just one of those weeks you feel really drained. Too tell you the truth I completely underestimated the toll a trip down to South Carolina and back within one weekend would take on me. Pretty much the rest of the week I spent trying to catch up and energize myself. Although the trip was well worth it since I got to see a close friend of mine, it is definitely a trip I will only make again if I am staying for more then just a short weekend.
Finally towards the end of this week I caught up and am finally not feeling so exhausted. This weekend I was also able to get back on track with my workouts and healthy eating. I will admit that going off of the fix for a week and then going back on did make me realize how much I miss certain foods like condiments. With that said it made me think as to why we can't create a balance and come up with some more flavorful toppings for our food. So this weekend I scoured the internet and found some recipes for homemade condiments that were either already fixed approved or close enough that I could alter them for the 21 Day Fix.
The first recipe I found was from FoodNetwork.com for a Caesar Dressing. The only thing I switched out was mayo for plain greek yogurt:
Caesar Salad Dressing
- 6 gloves of garlic, mashed and minced
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of freshly grated parmesan
- 2 pinches of salt
- pepper to taste
- Combine garlic, mustard, vinegar, and two pinches of salt into a blender and mix well. Add in greek yogurt and parmesan and mix well. Add pepper to taste if desired.
When I was looking through the Beachbody website and saw a 21 Day Fix approved Ketchup recipe I got really excited - especially after I saw that it counts as 1 green!
Just keep in mind this recipe makes 10 servings (about 2 tbsp each). Original Recipe
1 green (2 tbsp)
1 (15oz) can of organic tomato sauce no salt or sugar added
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon of coconut sugar (or pure maple sugar)
- Heat all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil while stirring frequently for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Place into container and chill for at least 2 hours.
Another recipe I found on the Beachbody site was Ranch, which tends to be a food staple here in Ohio for some. Original Recipe
1/2 blue (Recipe makes 5 servings, about 2 tablespoons each)
- 1/3 cup non-fat plain greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup of low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon of ranch seasoning
- Combine yogurt, buttermilk, and seasoning in a bowl and mix well. Serve & enjoy!
The final condiment recipe I found that is 21 Day Fixed approved is BBQ sauce. I found this recipe on CleanEatingOnline.com. Original Recipe
1 orange container
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- In a medium sauce pan whisk together 1/2 cup of water, tomato paste, vinegar, maple syrup, worcestershire sauce, garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper flakes.
- Bring sauce to a boil on medium high heat and continue to boil for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in oil.